Sunday, 16 March 2014

The perfect trip!

The car was decorated with flowers. I was ready to leave. My new-formed family was waiting for me to get in the car. It was the time for "bidai". But it didn't seemed. Everyone was seeing me off with smiles and there were absolutely no tears. This is what bothered me big time.

Me: "Ma, you cried so much when di was going, at least shed some tears, yaar. It's not fare!"
Ma: "I really want to feel sad. But I know you are going to be here only."
Papa: "I think you should go. They are waiting."

But they didn't. They laughed at my kiddish(what they think was kiddish) demand and made me sit in the car. I was so angry that I am sure somewhere a volcano must have erupted. 

All my life I knew, when you go to your 'sasural', you are supposed to hug and cry like mad. Here I was with a funny bidai. It made me feel that I was just going to my college and not to my 'sasural'.

When I reached there, I was welcomed in a big family. A new life started. The whole lot of in-laws, husband and me, never gave me time to sink in the feeling that I got married. I was just living with a new set of people and I was sharing my room with a man, rest remained same. I went to the same office at the same time with a tiffinbox, now packed by one of the in-laws in charge of the kitchen. 

Within six months of my marriage, my sis-in-law was to get married. Shopping, preparation and all the ho-halla for the marriage started in the house with me in the loop. The d-day arrived and she was off to her new home. But in all the hustle-bustle, one thing just remained on the mind. My honeymoon. I never complained. I came from a big family and I knew various challenges. I had settled completely. 

Another close relative was getting married(didn't I mention, it was a big family ;)) and plans were made to visit them. On the day before we were to leave, my husband came back from office really tensed. 
Hubby: "My leaves are cancelled."
MIL: "What? Why? Tickets are already booked!"
FIL: "What happened, beta? Anything to worry?"
I stood there with a puppy face not knowing what to do. 
Hubby: "No. Just due to overload, my leave is cancelled. You all continue. I will join you on wedding day, if it is possible."
Everyone was quiet for a while. I was wondering what's going on. The silence was broken by my FIL.
FIL: "Then I think you two stay here. If possible, you can join us on wedding day. What do you say?"
I held my breadth. Just the two of us?
MIL: "Ya, that sounds good." Looking at me, she asked,"Beta, I hope you are fine with this plan?"
I just said, "Yes, Ma. No issues. We will join you all a little later."

Next morning my husband left for office and then rest of family left for the wedding. Since, I had applied for leave, I thought I would visit my Mom's place after some time. Just after my in-laws left, the bell rang.
I went to answer it.

Me: "Oh my God! What happened? Why are you back? Are we also going?"
The shock was certain. It was my husband who was standing at the door.
He:"Will you let me in lady? At least give me some water to drink. I will answer your questions."
Me:"Ohk. Come."
I felt a little weird. We had a regular arranged marriage. Although we shared the room, but we always knew that everyone was around. This time, it was different. No one was at home. I was alone with him in this big house. I felt like this was the first time we were together. Just the two of us. 

He had water and took out some paper and handed it to me. It was some...ticket. I was totally confused. He held my hand and he looked into my eyes and said, "My leave is approved. I have a whole week off. Two of us are going to Goa."

Me:"Wh...what? Really!"
I was shocked. I was just staring at him in complete disbelief. He looked at me lovingly and said, "I am sorry for I didn't plan it before."
Me: "But what will we say to everyone."
He: "Office work. I have to go to Goa for a client meet. It's urgent and unavoidable. I can't leave you home alone, right?"
He winked and we laughed and hugged. 
My hands were trembling with excitement. My vision was hazy due to all the active tear glands and my heart was beating so hard that my neighbors could actually hear it. I was excited to the core. We left the next day. Just the two of us. No office. No home works. No relatives. Just the two. Everything was beautiful about my marriage but this trip took my marriage to a next higher level. 

The trip was perfect. Well planned and grand. The presence of just two created some magic. I came closer to him.

He was phobic to crabs but he loved them on his plate.
He was a no-alcohol person. At least till the time we reached Goa.
He loved to sing the weirdest voice ever. There was soo much more to him than what I knew. We shopped through the day and walked the beach through the night. We sang, danced, ate, drank, smoked, partied together. We spoke about our fears, wishes, ambitions, thrills and smallest of joys in our lives. It was the time when I came closest to the most important person in my life. 

When I came back from the trip, I was in a whole new world. The life became as usual after a while, but not me. I got a new best friend in my husband. I found a new meaning to our relationship. It was more than what I read/heard/knew about. Maybe I fell in love. Yes, I did.


  1. A beautiful story Swarn Priya. Loved it. All the best for the contest :)

  2. Very sweet story, so was this true? :)

    1. Yes Seeta is a real life incident!

      :) Thanks for dropping by :)